Blueberry hot chocolate makes a thick and delicious dessert. If you don’t have hours to spend on making a dessert, this can be a quick and simple fix.
This is a great recipe if you are not the most experienced of cooks, but you want to impress people with something a bit different and fun.
If you want to change things up a bit, you can use less milk, and condensed milk or evaporated milk instead.
I have suggested making this with frozen blueberries. This is because the freezing process will expand the water in the blueberries and breakdown the cell walls more easily when they are reheated. This means that the blueberries will be softer and take less time to cook down. You can make this with fresh blueberries, but it will be a little bit longer.
Why you should make it
The blueberries can be either sweet or tart. Depending on the ripeness of the batch you have purchased. They are complimented with the creaminess of the white chocolate, so regardless if it is tart or sweet, the flavours blend well. This recipe does have some chunks in it when you are drinking it. But if you are fine with that, it is worth it.
The blueberry gives a purple colour, and that gets lightened with the white of the milk and chocolate. I added some extra food colouring to spruce this up a little bit more, and have some fun with it.
This is a bit more complicated than the usual hot chocolates, and that is only because you have boil down the blueberries, and blend it up. Otherwise, the recipe is really straight forward.
Blueberry Hot Chocolate
Fruit and chocolate are a match made in heaven. This hot chocolate is made with white chocolate which allows for this recipe to really show its colour. A nice addition to any romantic or cozy meal.
- 60g white chocolate
- 80g frozen blueberries
- 2 tsp sugar
- 3 drops blue food colouring
- ⅔ mug of milk
- Step 1 In a small saucepan, put your blueberries, sugar, and a little bit of water. Bring it to a boil and reduce it together. This will take about 5 – 15 minutes. Stir the mixture constantly so that it doesn’t burn.
- Step 2 Once the blueberries have completely cooked down, take the saucepan off of the heat.
- Step 3 Let that cool for a bit, and add your milk. Using a hand blender continue to blend up the mixture and break up the blueberries.
- Step 4 Put your mixture back onto the heat.
- Step 5 Once you milk is warm enough add you white chocolate. Once the white chocolate has melted, taste your drink and decide it you want to be a bit more decadent and add some more.
- Step 6 Serve immediately with some whipped cream!