This is a dairy-free recipe, however it does not taste dairy-free and instead it’s very warm and comforting. This is also a really quick, easy and low-impact recipe. You don’t need any other tools than a mug and a spoon. Of course boiling water.
I have created this as a recipe for one, however, at the bottom of the recipe you will find the ratios and you can basically expand on from it. If you know how much cocoa you want to put it, you can basically add as much of the other ingredients to your heart’s content.
I am taking suggestions and questions for other Hot Chocolate flavourings.
FYI – The whipped cream is not dairy-free…
1 Part Cocoa powder
5 Parts Coffee Mate
2.75 parts Sugar
Vanilla is ⅓ of the amount of the cocoa powder
Vanilla = 2 parts
Peppermint = 1 part
These will be useful if you want to make a larger batch for a party, or if you want to keep some handy around.
Mix all of the dry ingredients together in an air tight container. Mix them very well, ensuring that you can take 1 spoonful and have all parts present. You want to make sure that you mix the ingredients together in a very dry container and seal them well.
The ingredients dissolve quickly and you do not want to come back to your hot chocolate mixture and find a weird puddle of dissolved stuff.
Calories per serving: 270
Dairy-Free Mint Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 4 tbsps + ½ tsp Coffee Mate or milk powder
- 2 ½ tsp 100% cocoa powder (you can use baking cocoa)
- 2 tbsps + 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp madagascar vanilla essence
- ½ tsp peppermint essence
- Dash of salt
- Step 1 Add all of your ingredients into a mug. Add enough boiling water to cover the ingredients and stir vigorously. You want to make sure that everything dissolves.
- Step 2 Add the rest of the water to fill your mug. It will be extremely hot and so be careful. If you want to add whipped cream, I suggest you let it cool a bit so that it doesn’t melt the whipped cream. I have served this with a candy cane, because why not?