This recipe is super simple and easy. That being said – once can just heat up Apple Juice and call it Apple Cider. Not one to be outdone, and to make things too too easy, I have decided to spice it up a bit. And yes, my pun is not lost on me.
I feel the need to define what I mean by “Hot Apple Cider” because it is different in different countries. In Canada, where I lived for awhile, they do “Hot Apple Cider”, I have come to learn that it is similar to mulled cider in the UK and Europe, but without alcohol. At first glance it would appear to be just warm apple juice with cinnamon, and yes, it essentially is just that. But it is a nice and almost healthier alternative to Hot Chocolate as a warm winter beverage.
This is a recipe for a warm and comforting non-alcoholic version, however! Not one to ostracise readers – Pimms, Pimms would be an epic addition to this (or as I have just recently learned, there is Winter Pimms – another excellent option).
You will see from the ingredients why Pimms works so well, and I do suggest adding it at the end as you don’t want to boil off all of the alcohol first.
Strawberry Apricot Hot Apple Cider Recipe
Hot Apple cider can be served in many different forms. This non-alcoholic recipe is spiced up with strawberries and apricot flavours to add additional depth.
- 4g Fresh Ginger
- 4 dried apricots (chopped)
- 2 strawberries (chopped)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Maple Syrup – to taste. I put about a teaspoon per person
- 400 mls Apple Juice
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp All spice
- Step 1 In a small saucepan (you don’t want to have too much extra pot to mixture and have just a little bit at the bottom!).
- Step 2 Put your ginger and chopped apricots into the bottom of the pot and turn the heat on to medium.
- Step 3 Let that start to heat up and get soft (no more than 5 minutes of it sizzling).
- Step 4 Throw in all of the other ingredients and boil it for about 20 minutes. Taste it every so often to gauge what level it is at. The key is – the longer it boils and steeps for, the fuller the flavours come out. Remember – the more you boil it down, the less you will have to drink, so if you go nuts boiling it, add more apple juice.
- Step 5 Strain and serve with cinnamon sticks – because they are just so pretty.