Beef, slow-cooked beef short rib to be exact, and potatoes, what could go wrong? Nothing, absolutely nothing! This recipe is key for beef lovers. Other than salt and pepper, this recipe does not call for any additional seasoning. Do not start putting things like sage, chervil, oregano, basil, herbes de Provence, etc. as they will start to mask the flavour of the beef.
I found that I did not need any beef stock due to the removal of other seasons to confuse your palate. The seasoning of this dish is the flavour of the meat in all its glory. I have added some dill as a garnish, but that is only due to it being a seasoning that I had while I was in Kyrgyzstan. I am usually all up for trying out new seasonings, but that would very completely change this dish. Try it out plain and just see what I mean.
I made this in substitution to a Sunday Roast and was not disappointed.
Why you should make it
This is a strong beef flavoured dish. The oils of the beef baste the potatoes and vegetables. It is simplistic, but also with a heartiness.
When I served this I had cooked the beef so long that the bone was served separate from the beef. It was a great crown of authority on how succulent and soft the beef will be. The blend of colours and contrasts makes this a pretty dish, even though it is simple. The garnish of dill does make it look a bit fancier. If you do want to tart it up a bit more, fresh parsley will compliment the garlic well.
This is a really simple slow-cook recipe. All you really need is the time to patiently wait for it. All of the food goes into one casserole dish and you don’t need to take a lot to cook it, or clean it. This is an impressive dish for people who do not consider themselves to be good chefs.
Calories per serving: 624
Slow-cooked beef short rib and potatoes recipe
Slow-cooked beef short rib with onions, potato, and green pepper. The cooking is long enough that the bone just falls off of the rib. Storage? It will still be good, but the only reasoning that I can think of why you wouldn’t eat it all is if you need it to be a dinner for one. It will last for another day or 2. When you reheat it, I would suggest in the oven so that it will retain its texture. That being said, I’m sure that the microwave is just fine too.
- 2 beef short rib - kind of large ones
- ½ medium potato
- ½ to a ¼ green bell pepper
- ⅛ cup of red onions (essentially a sprinkling)
- 1 head of garlic. Don't cut them up.
- Fresh dill for seasoning / garnish
- 2 tsps olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Step 1 Pre-heat your oven to 150 degrees.
- Step 2 In an 8” casserole dish, put your olive oil and put the heat up to medium. Place your short ribs fattiest side down, salt and pepper the sides for flavour. Leave the ribs that side down to render the fat. You want it to be lightly brown. Turn the ribs on to each of their sides to brown the outside fully (photo below). Remove from heat and remove the ribs from the pan.
- Step 3 Chop your potatoes into manageable bites. Essentially thing to yourself “I don’t want to eat this with a knife, what size does the potato need to be to be able to fit it all in my mouth without embarrassing myself” and that is the size you need to chop them to. Place the potatoes into the bottom of your casserole dish.
- Step 4 Add your chopped onions and skinned garlic cloves. You want to leave your garlic as whole as possible so that it not only retains its flavour as much as possible during the slow-cooking, but you will also get a burst of garlic OOMF when you do bite into it.
- Step 5 Place your ribs back onto the top of the pile and place in the oven. The cooking time for this is in 2 stages, because why not? While the oven is at 150 degrees c cook your mixture covered in aluminium foil for 3 hrs.
- Step 6 While that is cooking, chop your green peppers into small manageable bites… think… potatoes. That should help.
- Step 7 After the 3 hours, remove your casserole dish from the oven, crank it up to 180 degrees c. Place your green peppers into your casserole dish and place back into the oven. It does not need to have reached the 180 degree mark. Cook this uncovered for 1 hour.
- Step 8 Plate up and serve, remember the casserole dish will be hot.