I am not a fan of cranberry sauce, nor apple sauce. I find the sauces mix weird with gravy for an odd flavour and texture that doesn’t really work. This sauce is more of a side-dish, and won’t need additional gravy. The flavours compliment a pork loin, or other cuts of pork, and turkey breast. If you really want to be wacky, put all of the sauce into a slow-cooker with lamb shanks or other lamb cuts. This also works as a sweet dish, and can be served with plain Greek yogurt as a dessert.
Why you should make it
This dish is a mix of tart, sweet, and fresh. The sauce is not as gloopy as cranberry sauce can be. The blend of winter spices make the fruit very aromatic.
It looks very pretty, and does make your dish look rather complicated. The apple slices can be placed as decorations. It really is up to your own style.
It is really clear, you need to boil the sauce, and bake the dish. There isn’t much that you need to do to make it special. It really is my favourite way of cooking – simple, but looks a lot more complex than it really is.
You will need an 8” casserole dish
Spiced cranberry sauce and baked apples
Cranberry sauce and baked apples go along with all types of meats. Whether it is the more expected meats of pork or turkey, or whether it is a bit more different like partridge and venison.
- 450 mls water
- 125g fresh cranberries
- 10g barberries
- 10g juniper berries
- 65g sugar
- 2 fresh clementines
- Dash ground allspice
- 2 large dashes of ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Small dash whole cloves
- Dash ginger powder
- 3 red apples
- 3 tbsps sugar
- Cinnamon to taste
- Step 1 In a large saucepan put in all of your cranberry sauce ingredients. Make sure that your clementines are peeled and segmented.
- Step 2 Bring your pot to a boil and leave to a smooth boil and boil for approximately 35 to 40 minutes. Taste your sauce as it is boiling and you want it to become tangy and thicker.
- Step 3 If you need to leave it to boil longer, definitely let it boil for longer.
- Step 4 Leave your sauce to the side to cool.
- Step 5 Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C
- Step 6 Peel and slice your apples into segments. Toss them in your sugar for the baking apples. Line your 8” casserole dish with the apples.
- Step 7 Sieve out your sauce so that it is a completely smooth sauce. Pour it over your apples and sprinkle some cinnamon on the top. Place it in the oven and bake.
- Step 8 Bake your mixture for 40 minutes.